New York City Chapter Event
NYC Chapter Event: Virtual Private Tour of Audubon Bird MuralsThursday, August 20, 2020, 11am EDT‑12:30pm EDT
Location: Online Webinar - Zoom ID sent 72 hours prior to event
This event is SOLD OUT!
Contact: Barbara Stahura
Members must log in using your TTN password to register.
Click here for help registering for this event.
The Audubon Bird Mural Project is an impressive effort to create murals of over 300 North American birds, primarily in Hamilton and Washington Heights in Manhattan, where John James Audubon lived the last ten years of his life.
An EXPLORE NYC Virtual Tour of Mural Art
NYC has many mural projects, but this is the most unusual and ambitious.
Our guide, Leigh Hallingby, was selected to give exclusive tours of The Audubon Murals for members of the NYC Audubon Society. and some lucky TTNers enjoyed an in-person Audubon Murals tour last year.
A virtual private tour enables Leigh to safely show us 40 amazing murals, ranging from lovely panels that fill in a former window to spectacular murals covering the entire side of a building.
The boldly colored murals were painted by artists from all over the world, and each of the birds portrayed is threatened by climate change.
The Audubon Project is designed not only to help us appreciate the beauty of the birds, and the skill of their artists, but also to make us aware of the challenges that these unique creatures face.
OUR TOUR GUIDE: Leigh Hallingby is a licensed NYC tour guide, and the only guide who has offered tours of the Audubon Murals to members of the Audubon Society of New York City since 2018. She is passionate about exploring the city's vast array of neighborhoods on foot and specializes in Harlem, Morningside Heights, and the Upper West Side. As a former librarian for 36 years, Leigh also loves doing research about the neighborhoods in which she gives tours.
- This virtual event using ZOOM will feature a presenter using Google Slides to display the images.
- The audience will NOT be seen or heard once her talk begins.
- Questions and comments can be submitted by typing into the Zoom chat function during the talk, or asked directly following the presentation.
- Click here if you need help with how to take part in a Zoom meeting.
- Payment by credit card only
- Requests for refunds must be received 14 DAYS before the event date. Send refund request to Committee Chair: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Registrations are not transferable without authorization from the event organizer.